Thursday, May 9, 2013

Deore XT Hubs are the Redheaded Stepchild of the XT line

For the most part I prefer most SRAM over Shimano. The exceptions being XT cranks and brakes, which I consider top notch. The hubs however are a different story. I'm referring to the M756 model. They don't live up to the quality of the XT line. The hubs are on the hefty side at 411g (rear), 302g (front). They have a steel cassette instead of alloy and they are cup and cone instead of cartridge bearings. I've found that many wheel lovers will contend that cup and cone are superior in many ways, when properly adjusted, but I find them to be an complete headache to adjust, although I didn't spring for a park axle vise which would simplify the job. The last thing missing from the XT hub is a quality pawl system (e.g. DT Swiss' star ratchet). So if you've selected an XT groupo for your new build, skip the hubs.


No comments:

Post a Comment