Monday, May 6, 2013

Creatine and Cramps

I started taking creatine a few months ago as an experiment. It's listed as a safe supplement so I felt ok trying it out. A week or so afterwards I got some bad cramps about an hour into rides. First my quads, then my calfs, and even my triceps. I rarely ever get cramps too. I didn't make the connection immediately and dismissed it as early season riding. BTW, I always have a sports drink before my ride to hydrate and get then necessary salts to prevent cramping. Later on I did a search on creatine and cramps and found there's quite a bit of evidence that they are related. In any case I'm going to stop using it to see what happens. I didn't see much of a benefit to it with weightlifting anyway. Lots of links on the matter here.

Update (6/20): It's been over a month since I stopped taking creatine and I can say 100% it was the cause of the cramps. I did get a few cramps about a week or 2 after I stopped but it takes a few weeks for creatine to leave the body so this is expected. Since then no cramps and I've ridden much farther and haven't changed anything else.


No comments:

Post a Comment