Thursday, April 14, 2016

Carbon Frame Search and Boost



I've been looking for a carbon frame to upgrade my Niner Jet 9. I always seem to upgrade my bikes over time, instead of just buying new, which doesn't make sense financially but I do it for some odd reason. So my current setup is a Jet 9 frame that is a couple years old and new XT, SID fork, and Stan's Crest wheels, as of last year. At this point I'd be happy to just go to a carbon frame. The frame I really wanted was a Niner RKT, but that is now on the Boost standard, so that won't work with my components. It seems a number of bikes are now on the Boost standard (Trek Fuel, Niner RKT), and this will likely take hold and become the new standard. Boost requires Boost hubs, cranks, and forks, and no adapters, as of yet are available to work with non-Boost components. I get that the industry needs to innovate but Boost is a drastic change that introduces incompatibility for forks, wheels and cranks. Undoubtedly it will sell more bikes and industry knows that but not sure the supposed advantages (stiffer wheels, bigger tire clearance) are worth all the incompatibility headaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment