Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Giving up on GXP Bottom Brackets and Truvativ Cranks

Update: I don't like anything SRAM, except maybe the SID Fork. The XT line is just superior in my opinion.

In general I prefer SRAM over Shimano. I think SRAM offers superior quality for the price point, especially with X9, although I opted for a XO rear derailleur. Of course SRAM is not completely homegrown; they're an amalgamation of Truvativ, Avid and RockShox. The one component that lets me down consistently is the GXP bottom bracket. I've gone through 3 so far. The bearings get scratchy after a few hundred miles. BTW, this is the standard BB, not the ceramic. I'm now using Shimano XT BB and cranks and they have been excellent so far (~1000 miles). Additionally I think the Hollowtech design is superior. The other Shimano component I prefer over SRAM is the XT brakes, although I made the mistake of buying Avid CRs.

No comments:

Post a Comment