Saturday, July 7, 2012

Strava

My latest obsession is this Strava phenomenon. I only heard about them due to a recent lawsuit. While that lawsuit seems completely absurd, I do think it's not such a great idea to create incentives for riders to endanger others, and perhaps themselves. There are plenty of bidirectional mtb trails that can be very dangerous for the uphill rider, when other riders are descending at often uncontrollable speeds. I've had a few close calls where I'm the downhill rider and I have had to bail off my bike to avoid uphill riders (yes, I felt like a huge jerk). I've also experienced encounters where the downhill rider does not attempt to yield. I'm not sure exactly what the best solution is but think a Strava feature that lets users flag a descent segment as "unsafe" would help deter this sort of behavior.


No comments:

Post a Comment